I feel for the young girls of the world today. There is a huge shortage of good role models. It is just me or have celebrities and athletes forgotten that they are looked up to and admired by so many young people? Whether it’s drugs, domestic violence or just a disregard for sincerity, there are only a few respectable American’s to look up to.
As a working mom I’m always looking for inspiring women. And although they are far and few between, I’ve put together a list of my top 5 inspirational women.
5. Tori Spelling….. That’s right—Donna Martin herself. Most childhood actors follow paths of destruction in life that usually involves drugs or crime. But not Tori Spelling. Despite her public battles within her family, Tori has risen to the occasion in creating an empire out of her original brand. With several popular reality shows, a number of best-selling books, a popular blog, jewelry line and many other endeavors, Tori has proven that child stars can be successful—if they do it right. My book club gals read Tori’s first 2 books. They are brutally honest and hilarious. Cheers to Tori for making her dreams a reality.
4. Giuliana Rancic…. You probably know G from E! News as Ryan Seacrest’s co-host. But Giuliana also has a popular reality show with her husband Bill Rancic. Together they are a hilarious duo with a great outlook on life. Giuliana has bravely shared her battles with infertility and breast cancer with the entire world. A daunting feat that has touched the lives of so many women. We love Giuliana for her honesty and her humor and are so happy that her dreams are coming true. No one deserves it more. And if you’re wondering where I got the word “Amaze-balls”, check out her show on the Style network.
3. Bethenny Frankel…. I talk about Bethenny Frankel a lot. If you didn’t her before you probably do after reading my blog. One of the original Housewives of NYC, Bethenny turned her 5 minutes of fame into a fortune. Bethenny has had 2 spin-off shows, she branded the Skinny Girl margarita (which she then sold to Jim Beam for $40 mill), her books are best-sellers and she now has her own talk show. This is a women who stopped at nothing to achieve her dreams. She inspires me to be great.
2. Michelle Obama…As if the first lady isn’t gorgeous enough—she has a personality to match! Michelle Obama is not only beautiful and stylish in her J Crew inspired wardrobe, she also is down-to-earth and real. She’s using her platform to change the world, from childhood obesity to supporting military families, Michelle Obama has my vote!
1. Oprah..OK so the talk show is over and the OWN network isn’t exactly thriving, but a list of top women would not be complete without the one woman who has single-handedly changed my generation. Oprah is such a pioneer and inspiration to women of the world. She has made us realize that dreams can come true. And she has brought real-life issues that had been tucked away in secrecy out into the mainstream world. Oprah has changed my life by being a respectable, successful and inspirational woman. I will always remember the life lessons she has taught me and will always be aware of life’s “Aha moments.”
So there’s my list. Who are the women that motivate and inspire you?