Up until about a week ago, I had no idea about this “Tinder” thing. I’m not into dating, much less online dating. I’m recently out of a 12 year marriage and have no idea about the dating world today. It’s been several months since my separation and because my ex and I shared the same circle of friends, the possibility of meeting new, fun people intrigued me. I’m trying to take risks lately and do things that are out of my comfort zone. Turned off by Match.com, Plenty of Fish and the numerous other paid online dating sites, I decided what the hell, let’s check out Tinder.
To fill you in, Tinder is the straight person’s version of Grindr, a gay social networking app. I set up my profile and in a matter of minutes I was Tinder-ing. Tinder is GPS-based so it helps you connect with people in your area with similar interests to you. About 2 minutes in and I was hooked. I thought Tinder would be all youngsters and I would be the odd, older lady. But I realized that there were a ton of people my age! Even better, a ton of cute single dads!
It took me a while to get the swing of it. I consider myself to be tech savvy, and even I had to Google “how to use Tinder.” I swiped the wrong way a couple of times and got matched up with some randoms, but once I had it down, I unmatched the losers and started “liking” the hotties. Here is what surprised me…
- There are a TON of hot, athletic guys in Canada! I live right in between Seattle and Vancouver BC, and clearly I have been venturing out in the wrong direction! The hotties are all North! I could NOT believe the cute snowboarding, hockey playing, sporty guys right at my fingertips! Note to self—next girls trip, go to Canada!
- People post the strangest choice of photos! With the exception of my Canadian hotties with pics of catching air snowboarding at Whistler, so many people choose photos that are either not flattering, blurry, group photos where you can’t establish which guy you are looking at and even wedding pictures! Yes, people actually post pics in their tux from their wedding. Weird.
- People are really funny. You only have so many characters on Tinder for your profile, the best one’s I’ve seen have been super funny!!! I am 10x more likely to like a guy with a hilarious profile. The serious ones, like, “I am a tender-hearted gentleman looking for the lady of my dreams,” are stoopid! Ew, who wants an effeminate guy!
- There are cuties right in my back yard! Overwhelmed by the hotness in Canada, I decided to zero in on the local scene. I really thought there were no single, decent guys in my town- but I may have been wrong! There are cuties that like the same restaurants as me, single dads who do fun things with their kids and lots of outdoor adventurers! Who knew!
- It’s fun. I signed up on Tinder to familiarize myself with the app. After all, I do work in the tech field and figured I should know how these things work. I never thought it would be so much fun..or work! After just a couple hours I had several “matches” and even got messages from my cute Canadians! For someone who’s been lacking excitement in the man department for some time, it was really fun to chat with someone!
I don’t know if I’m ready to take the next step and actually meet up with one of these guys, but at least I’m putting myself out there and it really feels good for someone to call you “attractive” or “hot.” Looks like I need to shape up this mom bod and get myself back into the swing!